Pages

Friday, December 16, 2011

Unexpected Lesson

Originally Posted in September 2009 (I think)


Believe it or not, the last time that I blogged was in March 2008; that's a long time between blogs. My last blog was entitled "Life at 11,000 feet" In that blog I talked about my annual hiking trip in the mountains of Colorado. Having returned from Colorado less than a week ago I thought it was time to put down a few thoughts once again. Once again it was an amazing time of hiking, hunting and adventure. It was great to be able to spend so much time with my son Seth: there were moments that I will NEVER forget.  The beauty of God's creation was breathtaking; It's a experience that cannot be described only lived.  However this year God taught me something I did not expect to be taught; He taught me the power of contentment. It seems like every year I spend a great deal of time living with the sense of expectation and hope of my trip to the mountains; all the while failing to take the time to enjoy the beauty of the people around me. God taught me that contentment / happiness for me does not require that I be in the middle of the mountains; it can be found in enjoying the small ordinary things of my life. The mountains are amazing, but the most amazing view is from the my front porch looking in (Thanks Rascal Flatts) I never again want to be guilty of looking forward to the next adventure so much that I fail to see the amazing life that God has given me to experience EVERY day. Thanks God for teaching me an unexpected lesson

No comments:

Post a Comment